Another pretty easy chicken recipe because there’s no such thing as too many easy chicken recipes! This chicken lentil tomato stew is hearty and comforting. With flavorful chicken thighs cooked with fire-roasted tomatoes and green lentils, this recipe is sure to make it to your entree rotation!
I don’t go around making healthy recipes on purpose; sometimes I just make things that are accidentally healthy, haha. In this case, this is also gluten-free, so how about that? Another great thing about this chicken lentil tomato stew is that you can also add whatever vegetable you want. This time, I had some frozen carrots and cauliflower florets I had to use up, so I just added those in.
If you want to keep this gluten-free, this dish is actually very filling all by itself. Beside the protein from the chicken, there’s about 12g of protein from 1/2 cup of lentils. The same amount of lentils can also provide you with about 32% of the daily fiber and about 15% of your daily iron needs. This is on top of the benefits from the tomatoes! Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which is an antioxidant that may lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
Don’t know what to pair this with?
If you’re not trying to be gluten-free, or if you’re just used to eating dishes with carbs, you can eat this chicken lentil tomato stew with whatever carbs you want! This tastes great with rice, but you can also just dip some crostinis into it and eat it that way. Naan or any flatbread would also be great options to eat with this stew. The first time I made this, I actually just finished making garlic lachha paratha and this was soooo good to eat with that.
- 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (if you only have bone-in, just add 5-7 minutes to your cooking time)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme (dried or chop fresh ones)
- 1/2 tsp oregano (dried or chop fresh ones)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 can (~14 oz) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 - 1 cup of your choice of veggies (I used frozen carrots and cauliflower florets)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the green lentils. Pat dry your chicken thighs, then season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Mix the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, and oregano in a small bowl. Sprinkle them on both sides of the chicken thighs, about 1/4 tsp each side.
- Melt the butter in an oven-safe pan on the stove on medium-high heat. Make sure the pan is deep enough to fit the chicken, lentils, etc. Once the pan is hot enough, sear both sides of the seasoned chicken thighs until browned. Take the chicken off the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the minced garlic until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Make sure it doesn't burn! Add the green lentils, fire-roasted tomatoes, veggies, and chicken broth. Mix everything together and try to keep all the lentils submerged in the chicken broth. Add the chicken back in and just nestle each chicken thigh on top of the lentils.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until lentils are cooked.
- Serve with rice, crostini, naan, or flatbread!
Need more easy chicken recipes? Check out other options here!
// ON THE SCENE
- Bottom backdrop: Woodville Workshops — Amsterdam
- Props: gauze towel, mittens, garlic, spices, lentils