I’m a big fan of easy chicken recipes. You can ask my husband, we never not have chicken in our freezer. A versatile protein, chicken is such an easy vehicle for comforting, no-fuss recipes, and this one is no different. Transform your chicken drumsticks into a flavor explosion with this sweet balsamic-glazed drumsticks recipe. The blend of balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger creates a tangy, sweet, and spicy glaze that brings depth to the chicken’s flavor. This easy recipe will quickly become a staple in your kitchen!
Uses few ingredients, but packed with flavor
Marinading the chicken in this glaze for at least three hours allows the flavors to penetrate the meat, resulting in juicy and tender drumsticks. The acidic balsamic vinegar complements the sweetness of the brown sugar and the saltiness of the soy sauce, resulting in a well-balanced glaze. The garlic and ginger add a slight spicy kick and enhance the flavor, making every bite a delicious experience. The balsamic-brown sugar glaze caramelizes on the skin of the chicken, creating a crispy exterior. Whether you serve it at a dinner party or a weeknight meal, your guests will be impressed by the simple yet elegant dish.
Can I use other parts of chicken?
Chicken drumsticks are one of the most versatile cuts of meat you can find in the kitchen. They can be roasted, grilled, baked, or fried, and they’re always a crowd-pleaser. Even though I opted to use drumsticks in this recipe, you can definitely use chicken thighs as well. Dark meat works best with this recipe, so I recommend sticking with either drumsticks or chicken thighs. If you use bone-in chicken thighs, just add maybe 5 extra minutes on the baking. However, if you only have boneless, skinless chicken thighs, bake for about 8-10 minutes less.
- 1.5 lbs. (or about 7-8) chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced / chopped ginger
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup thawed frozen mixed veggies (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Combine the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, soy cause, garlic, ginger, and pepper in a small bowl and mix until everything is incorporated. This will serve as the marinade.
- Put the chicken drumsticks in a big Ziploc bag. Pour the marinade in the bag and make sure every drumstick gets that marinade lovin'. Put in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Put a cooling rack on top of a foil-lined baking sheet. Place your drumsticks on top of the cooling rack, and set the marinade aside. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is at 165 degrees. Don't be concerned if you see some black spots in the chicken--it's not burnt, just the brown sugar caramelized.
- While the chicken is baking, pour the marinade to a small pan on a stove and let it reduce slightly. When the sauce has slightly thickened, add the chicken broth. Reduce a bit more until it reaches a glaze consistency. You should still have enough sauce there to coat you drumsticks in.
- Add your cooked chicken drumsticks in the pan and your thawed frozen mixed veggies (if you opted for these) and coat everything in the sauce. Top with chopped parsley if you'd like! Pair with rice 🙂
Incorporate this sweet balsamic-glazed drumsticks recipe into your cooking repertoire and treat your taste buds to a flavor explosion. The combination of balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger guarantees a depth of flavor that will leave you wanting more!
// ON THE SCENE
- Bottom backdrop: Replica Surfaces — Toasted Marble
- Props: pan, tongs